Jean Grae

Discutii despre hip hop-ul de-afara

Moderators: greuceanu, .etalosed

Deena
La Cosa Nostra
atmoposciel.pl - Jedwabne poszewki na poduszki

Jean Grae

Post by Deena »

am gasit pe allhiphop.com ceva foarte interesant (parerea mea) legat de Dna emcee Jean Grae!!!!.....ENJOY!...cititi...si veti intelege cum stau treburile de fapt in HH underground din state(in mod particular pt femeile mc!!!!

[Editor’s note: This piece contains language of a frank, honest nature. For mature individuals only.] Grae: Airs It Out
By Jean Grae

I’m most probably going to get a phone call both from my label and publicist about writing this, but honestly, I’m just tired of mincing my words and being nice about shit. I haven’t really written a lot on allhiphop in a second, mostly because I’m too damn frustrated with everything to write as a hobby. I’m angry, I’m tired and close to spazing out about a lot of shit.

I hate this industry. I hate the music business because it has shit to do with music. I grew up in a family of independent struggling musicians and I’m sick of being a part of that cycle. I’m tired of fighting harder than everyone else to even just get a little bit. I don’t even know why I fucking put my heart into doing this when it’s obvious that so many people who don’t, get what they want out of it. The financial unstability of this is driving me crazy. Why do I have to keep turning out entire albums or releases full of music when some cat can spit on a mixtape once, or give someone a pound and then get on immediately? Why try to do something that’s apparently so fucking different and impossible, that I have to defend it to myself everyday?

I hate myself for dumping my all into this. If I was smarter I wouldn’t have pursued this career. I’m older than most people already established in this business and I’m not thinking of the money coming out of it for balling out purposes. I want to be a mom soon, I want to have some sort of steadiness in my life, but with this job that is close to a damn impossibility right now.

Fuck everyone at all these labels who even know me and won’t even give me a damn chance to step in the door.

‘Oh, I love your shit,’ but they can’t do shit for me. Fuck the boys club mentality that they have and the vision they lack.

Years of rejection make you really second think yourself. Maybe it’s not them, maybe it’s me. Maybe my shit isn’t good enough to compete with all the stuff out there. Then I hate everything, then I read “her delivery is trash”, or “her beats are wack” and that solidifies all of that in my head. As much as I can try to fight it and try to like my own material it becomes a chore to listen to it. It’s a cycle. I get like that, then snap out of it after a pep talk and think, no, I am talented. I have something. Don’t pay attention to all that shit, I’m stronger than that. I’m not a quitter, I’m a fighter.

My fighter outlook is getting really weak. Less and less I really put myself into this shit with a gung ho attitude and now I do it almost because I’m stuck here and I don’t like to start things and not finish them.

I can have press out the ass, it doesn’t seem to matter. No one really outside of the industry or underground heads know who the fuck I am. Doing shows that are difficult to get in the first place and then only having like 20 people there for crap money doesn’t lift your spirits. Promoters won’t even understand that we don’t have the kind of money it takes to get to these damn places unless they’re paying for them. If there are maybe 2 black women in the audience that night it’s a good night for me. I understand that fans are fans and I respect that. But it’s a piece of shit job when you can’t even see yourself reflected in the audience.

I can’t get on any big mixtapes, labels are scared to fuck with something without a great soundscan history and people that have the power to help treat me like the invisible rapper. What am I supposed to do ? I’m tired of writing because everything is coming out angry and I don’t want to be that person. I’m mad that I’m broke, I’m mad that I’m living in the same situation...and you know what XXL??? I’m fucking mad that I can’t make my wedding plans happen again this year. Yeah. You guys put me in your “Negro Please” section a few months ago with the quote “I’m broke and I couldn’t go through with the plans for my wedding I had on Valentine’s day.’

So, what the fuck? That was funny? You know, you forgot to mention the fact that the quote you took came from a Fader magazine article in which the next line I spoke was “my dad has cancer”. Perhaps you should have included that too, since you thought that the beginning was so hilarious. You don’t know shit about me or my life and with the amount of ignorant speakers around you chose to include something that you thought somehow was chuckle worthy. Fuck off.

I’m taking back the nice and putting on the angry face because I’m tired. I’m tired of being overlooked and underpaid.

I’m tired of trying to come up with new fucking ingenious plans of how to let people know that I exist and then scrapping them because we don’t have the money to do shit. It’s a luxury to me to watch people sit in a studio and take time with their shit. It’s a tragedy to see them wasting their time and not realizing how lucky they are to have the opportunity to do that. There’s tons of people I would love to work with, but money doesn’t allow that, so in the interims between albums and shows I gotta come up with all these crazy hustles to keep my name out there and introduce myself to a new audience. Most of them never come to pass because of a lack of money to make them happen. Shows that I don’t want to take I have to, no matter how small the money is because, well, food is something you need. I’m not trying to be whiny about work, trust I’m a workhorse, I’ve never shied away from that. However, I am opposed to working for nothing. For fucking nothing. I’m not retarded, otherwise that would sound like a great idea, but I’m too old for that shit. Everything is a chance, a promise of something that could possibly come to pass and usually doesn’t.

I’m sick and damn tired of explaining who I am to my label. Why we shouldn’t work the same formula that everyone else uses and hearing, ‘it’s about the numbers. It’s all about the numbers.”

Well, I can’t do anything about the numbers cause I’m out of ideas and I don’t want to play the waiting game anymore. I don’t have the time to sit back and think of things because I have to eat.

I’m out of ways to dance around things and pretend like I’m happy and coming up with some great new shit when I do interviews. I don’t have anything to talk about anymore. I’m stuck, I’m pissed, but I guess none of that even matters in the long run, since I’m not even playing in the same league as everyone else.

I don’t know what I’m gonna do now, or why I have to keep explaining to people why I make music and who I’m making it for. I used to rap and make beats because, damn I just did. Doing it for work isn’t a problem, but where’s the work? I don’t think I’m the most incredible person out there, but I want to get better. I understand that when it’s a job a lot of it ceases to be fun, but this is like a 10 year internship with no fucking promotion. I have to sit here and watch people get hired around me and move up to top management positions. I know the people at these labels, they know me, I’ve been here for years and no one ever fucking gives me a chance to even break in. I would respect it even a little if they just told me I wasn’t shit and kicked me out. But just treating me like I’m not even there is some bullshit. What the fuck? Maybe if I was a damn model I would’ve gotten further ahead. But I’m not. I look like me and only me and I’m not going to change anything or start feeling bad about myself because that’s the only way that females can play in this game. That can get to you too you know. I thought it was about the work that I did, but obviously it never was. My dreamer mentality pretty much ended a few years ago, but even reality doesn’t seem to get me anywhere.

I don’t want to keep venting for nothing either, so I’ll probably just keep all of this stuff inside from now on like I usually do.

I know I can’t state any fucking opinion without someone going “aww fuck that bitch shes on her period and she mad cause shes not that nice anyway and plus she ugly.” I read message boards, I know how it goes..that’s pretty much standard, but fuck you too. Thanks allhiphop for always letting me be me.

Fuck the rap game. It’s not about the music or the heart or how hard you play.

Fuck you for not letting me in, cowards.
Jean Grae: Airs it out
By Jean Grae
[/quote]

underly
tanar

Post by underly »

txs deena!!!

chiar aveam nevoie sa citesc asta ca sa-mi potolesc starea de spirit!
diz que tem!
credeam ca stiu! credeam ca e simplu: un om, o viata si-un rost! credeam ca n-o sa mai fiu ce-am fost: un las si-un prost!

GANi
Hadesse

Post by GANi »

N-as fi crezut ca pana si la ei in underground se intampla asa ceva... Pacat, mai ales ca Jean Grae chiar are potential. Si desi mai toata lumea care ma cunoaste stie ca nu-s feminista, ci mai degraba destul de "misogina", totusi e clar ca o mare parte din lucrurile de care se loveste si despre care a scris in editorial aici se datoreaza faptului ca e femeie si ca incearca sa patrunda intr-un teritoriu considerat in general "men`s only"... Pt. asta o admir foarte mult si o consider un model.

Deena
La Cosa Nostra

Post by Deena »

underly np! :wink: tocmai d'asta am postat !!!! foarteeee multi cred k in state totul e frumos, colorat...bla bla....when it really isn't like that!
GANi... :)

urmeaza partea a 2-a...un interviu cu jean grae!!!
How did the moniker Jean Grae come about? When I was changing my name (from What? What?), I didn’t want to miss, you know. I didn’t want something over the top. Pumpkinhead (former collaborator and label mate) had suggested Ms. Marvel and I liked the idea of her powers, so I went from there.”
How would you describe the state of rap?It’s wack. It’s sad. Rap is sad. I hope it gets better cause it’s very sick. There's no versatility. I’m not even knocking, you know, the club heads or down South music, or the strip club joints—hey, there wouldn’t be a strip club without the strip club joints. It’s great, make ‘em, but why is it the only thing that we have? I think it’s really interesting that (over the past year) rap has become a lot more musical. In terms of a more singy hook and the obligatory R&B singer doing the break. You pick up an album and start hearing new instruments like horns, flutes, playing live. I think we’re moving towards…moving beyond categories. I think that’s a lot of the problem too. We’re so quick to categorize, like, “Oh, it’s alternative hip hop.” It’s not. It’s all music. It’s all the same thing.
You know how people are calling rap “the game” and have the mentality of just getting theirs. Are you out for the money in any way? Um, yes, cause I’m not retarded. You know, I’m not a 16-year-old putting out an independent record like, “Yeah, this’ll be fun!” Hey, that’s great, but I like food. I have bills. Let’s be real about it. I’m gonna be knocking on 30 soon. You know, not that I don’t do this because I love it and sometimes it’s the worst job to have, but sometimes you feel really blessed to have a job where you get to be creative. Sometimes I would rather just be in an office and have someone tell me what to do. I don’t want to always have to come up with the solution on my own. You know, whatever career you do you want to be successful at it, which involves making money.
Based on who and what is considered hot in rap right now, why is that you or someone like yourself, an artist with a real underground following, why is it that you’re not where they are?Money. We don’t have the money. It’s very simple. I don’t have the same financial backing like the people who have their videos in rotation all day. It’s sad. I mean, forget about me, there are so many out there (with talent) who don’t have the opportunity because they don’t have the money. That is the main problem.
Who do you see as your audience when you're doing your thing?I don't see an audience. There are specific songs, like on my last album there was a song called "Block Party." I don't perform it according to the audience. The only time I have performed that song was last year and it was a relatively mixed audience...but, you know, it's underground rap, so it was the suburban white, back-packer audience and it's wonderful to have that fan base, but...where are the black people? No really, this is black music and it's like where are the black people? You know, the urban community is not necessarily exposed... so you can't blame them for not being there if they don't know that (this music is around). I just want them to know that there's a choice and that there's something else out there. You know, not just everything you see out there, on TV, is like 106 & Park. There's other music out there.
What do you want listeners to get from your music?It depends on what it (the song) is. I love albums that can completely not make me think about anything that’s going on around me, that just sucks me into that world. Something that takes you out of your element have your emotions relate or, even if not, then introduce something to you that you didn’t even know was there before. Something that brings up repressed memories, I don’t know. I mean, that’s all I try to do, just evoke some kind of emotion…anger, hatred, love, whatever it is as long as it makes you feel something.

TRIST......dar adevarat.....!!! :(
Pace!! :wink:

Ioannes
un domn / doamna

Post by Ioannes »

vot pt bahamadia!:P
de ce te mai chinui sa te duca capul? oricum il duci tu pe el ... n-ai vrea sa intratzi in conflict de interese sau ceva :D

Deena
La Cosa Nostra

Post by Deena »

Ioannes..N'a zis nimeni nimik aici despre Bahamadia!!...femeia e ok! :wink: ..n'am zis k nu e!...doar k vb despre Jean Grae!!!!! :roll: ...
anyway...it's ok![/b]

Deena
La Cosa Nostra

Post by Deena »

Maeditus...cand am postat interviul cu JG & articolul scris d ea pt allhiphip.com m'am gandit la toti cei care muncesk, fac ceva pt ceea ce iubesk in lok sa stea si sa se vaite & planga, spunand ceva de genu:"noi suntem buni, da' nimeni nu ne baga in seama, nu face nimeni nimik pt noi"!!! ...Multi ar trebui sa se gandeaska k in state situatia nu e foarte roz & infloritoare pt f multi artisti din underground kre desi sunt BUNI/sau foarte buni nu sunt promovati, ba chiar ignorati...cati dintre ei au bani sa 'si permita s'o arda ore'n sir , chiar zile in studio???....k sa nu mai vorbim despre cati dintre acesti artisti isi permit sa aiba un studio k lumea!?!??!...NUMAI prin multa munca, ambitie, vointa, rabdare, pasiune+ doza aia de talent pe care numai Dumnezeu ti'o da=apar rezulatele!!!
Indemnul meu pt toti cei care fac ceva in hh e urmatorul: Continuati sa luptati & munciti pt ceea ce iubiti cu adevarat sa faceti, nu abandonati idealurile voastre dak ceva nu va iese din prima perfect, munciti-munciti...si iar munciti, incercati sa faceti de fiecare data ceva mai bun !!! :wink: God bless y'all!!!

Deena
La Cosa Nostra

Post by Deena »

New stuff...Ms. Grae speaks her mind again!!! :D

Jean Grae: Verbal Telepathy
By Clover Hope

Like an embryo in its final gestation period, Jean Grae is ready to force her way into the Rap world by any means necessary. In fact, she has been for awhile now. Many consider her one of the best lyricists in the game - forget the gender separations. She initially kept her exquisite rhymes to herself, secretively jotting down lyrics and performing in front of her bathroom mirror.

Last time Jean caught up with us, she was fresh off "The No Turntables Tour" and enjoying the comforts of home. Hoping to get to another side of our resident editorial voice, AllHipHop.com burrowed deep into her mind for her thoughts on Hip-Hop feminism, self-image, moving weight, and...Michael Jackson. As usual, Jean provides infinite brain food.

AllHipHop.com: We met for the first time for an interview at Nuyorican Poets Cafe last summer, I don't know if you remember, but it was pouring outside.

Jean Grae: Ohh, yeah...the rain. How are you?

AllHipHop.com: I'm good. I know you've been busy moving, right?

Jean Grae: Yeah, I just moved a little while ago. And moving, I don't think it matters even how far you move, moving is just ughh.

AllHipHop.com: Bigger place?

Jean Grae: Um, definitely a bigger place, and a more personal rearrangement in life, I guess.

AllHipHop.com: When we last spoke, you mentioned that image is a huge factor in why you haven't had a breakout record yet. Is that still the case?

Jean Grae: I mean, think about the fact that you've seen a lot of male nipples.

AllHipHop.com: [Laughs!]

Jean Grae: I didn't ask to see them. They're just there. It's not just females, you know. Everybody's got their shirt off. And hey, sex sells, and it's not necessarily just in Rap. It's the media, it's TV; it's movies, you can't get away from it. Sex sells, and in society, that's what people are looking for, that's what people are intrigued by, that's what people are drawn to. But I think there's a vehicle or should be a vehicle for something else. We all have sex, we all enjoy sex. Yay, sex is great. I'm not anti-sex, but I don't have sex all day. I tend to do other things in the day. [Laughs] I just don't see why there can't be an open market for that, some sort of balance. Have that, and have something else in your life.

AllHipHop.com: Well, with people like Lil' Kim and Foxy Brown, the sexy image is what they themselves put out there, but somebody like Lauryn Hill, who didn't come out with that type of persona, or even Missy Elliott, they were still accepted.

Jean Grae: I mean, they have songs that are about sex. They're having sex as well, and it's always viewed differently. Even women who are putting stuff out, who are like, "alright I'm sexy" are really writing some deep, heartfelt s**t. All that gets put to the side and all you see is sex. There should at least try to be an open vehicle for people opening their minds just a little bit, a little bit, little by little. If it doesn't work in the next 10 years, hopefully it'll work in the next 20.

AllHipHop.com: Do you think female representation in Rap is a huge issue?

Jean Grae: I think there [are] a lot of really talented females out there. Interesting enough, I had a pre-nomination for Best Rap Solo Performance, so you know I have an album out [This Week]. I mean, obviously I didn't get to make it into the top five, but it was nice to have a chance to even get in there a little bit, you know. But yeah, interesting enough is that I've never heard of that happening even if I wanted to win, I couldn't even have possibly had the chance.

AllHipHop.com: Yeah, it's probably going to be a while until they recognize female rappers.

Jean Grae: Well, I hope they put it back next year 'cause I'm planning on winning.

AllHipHop.com: Do you think there's a female right now who's really at the top of her game?

Jean Grae: I like a lot of people. I would love to hear stuff from Ms. Jade again. Meeting Remy [Martin], she's a cool person. She's a very cool person, and she definitely speaks her mind. We don't necessarily agree on everything, but I can respect her hustle and what she does, and what she's coming from. I want to see Foxy put some ill s**it out. I think that you got people that are still under the radar, like Invincible. I think Invincible is incredible. But she's fighting a whole other fight, which is, "I'm a female rapper, but I'm a white female rapper." And it's so crazy 'cause she's so dope. Tara Chase...there's a lot of really, dope female MC's.

AllHipHop.com: You once mentioned that you used to be a drug dealer yourself but you couldn't cut it because you got high off your own supply.

Jean Grae: I mean, who pretty much, ask any people that I know that I've grown up around, who hasn't? I think a lot of us went through the period where you try anything, you hustle, and you do what you gotta do. I probably figured out that I would be a better artist than doing anything else.

AllHipHop.com: Does the drug dealing ever come up in interviews? I haven't read about it.

Jean Grae: No, no. I mean, seriously, it wasn't serious like that. [Laughs]

AllHipHop.com: I ask because it tends to give certain rappers so-called street credibility.

Jean Grae: It's definitely nothing that I would even try to use for street credibility. I mean, I did what I did. I had a friend who gave me the opportunity and I was like sure, I need to make some money. Nah, trust me. It was not Tony Montana to any extent whatsoever.

AllHipHop.com: Some people see you as a tough, intimidating person. Would you say you come off that way?

Jean Grae: I hope not. I hope not. Somebody actually told me the other day somebody that I know really well that can be very intimidating, and I was like, wow. I really don't think of myself as that at all. I think the media has a tendency to pick up on the things they want to and kind of hype you as that. Like, okay you're the badass, tough, rebel girl.

AllHipHop.com: Right, the angry

Jean Grae. Yeah, turn you into an angry Black, badass woman, which is pretty much them needing something more than you. You know, the media will always push what their perception is, and as far as always pitting me against like, "Oh you're here to end the Lil' Kims or you're here to end the Foxys [Brown]" and I'm like, I never said that. There's no reason why they can't be there at the same time that I'm there.

AllHipHop.com: You mentioned reading, what have you been reading these days?

Jean Grae: I just read a really ill book called Angry Black White Boy, which I really, really recommend.

AllHipHop.com: What's that about?

Jean Grae: It kind of looks at race relations in a very interesting way, and especially as a New Yorker, I can very, very much appreciate it. [It's about] someone inside the culture of Hip-Hop, whose grown up with it and grown up trying so much to rebel, kind of getting people to open their eyes but not really going about it in the right way. So it pretty much sounds exactly like what the title is, Angry Black White Boy, so I do recommend it. Can I ask you a question?

AllHipHop.com: Yes.

Jean Grae: Is Clover Hope your real name?

AllHipHop.com: Yes it is. Everybody thinks it's fake. [Laughs]

Jean Grae: That is great...I'm taking it! I'm no longer Jean Grae, I'm Clover Hope.

AllHipHop.com: Since you have an interest in journalism, I want to get your thoughts on some current events. What do you think of the Michael Jackson trial?

Jean Grae: Oh, Mike. Yeah, I think Michael definitely has some issues, which is obvious to everybody. He doesn't seem to be doing really well right now. I can't possibly imagine I think the first time it really, really struck me was on the Remember The Moonwalker?

AllHipHop.com: Um, no I don't think so.

Jean Grae: Moonwalker was the one that had it was like a whole movie and then he turned into the crazy robot at the end and he had this song in the video on there called "Leave Me Alone." It's like, he really, really went there, but it was a parody of himself, like showing himself dancing with the elephant man. He was an entire roller coaster and everyone was taking a huge ride...I feel bad for him.

I think it's difficult for people to be able to separate what you love of someone's music from what you think is their persona 'cause none of us know Michael Jackson. Everybody can have their opinion and do this and do that, but you don't know because you don't know Michael Jackson, stop it. You know his albums. That is not who someone is. That is the music that they make. And partially them, but it's like having the same conversation with someone over and over again. You can't get to know someone. I personally don't think Mike did it. I think he has some issues, and I think he missed out on childhood, and I think he's definitely been used. But I think there's still a sense of innocence there that makes it difficult for me to believe [that he's guilty].

AllHipHop.com: And have you been following this whole Terry Schiavo situation?

Jean Grae: I have. I just opened my MSN and looked on it and saw she died...I've said it in a song [that] "I don't ever want to breathe if it requires assistance. Shut down my system, please. I think it was really selfish of those parents. I understand that it's your loved one and you want to keep your family around you, but at what cost? She wasn't living, she wasn't living. I know personally, for myself, I don't ever wanna be on a life support machine, but I think at this point in life, maybe that's difficult to say. I don't have children. I don't have anyone else who relies on me like that, so...

AllHipHop.com: Do you want to have children?

Jean Grae: Very much, very much. Hopefully soon.

AllHipHop.com: Really, do you think you'd be a good mother?

Jean Grae: I hope I'll be a good mom. I think I have a good blueprint to work with.

Ioannes
un domn / doamna

Post by Ioannes »

immortal technique feat jean grae- the illest ruleaza rau de tot la mine in playlist!!!! :twisted:
de ce te mai chinui sa te duca capul? oricum il duci tu pe el ... n-ai vrea sa intratzi in conflict de interese sau ceva :D

sunrah

Post by sunrah »

:roll: impreuna cu Digga ar forma "perechea" perfecta.. :D:D:D

asta mi se pare geniala .. Jean Grae - Haters Anthem ... !!!
Last edited by sunrah on Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you just never know when you're living in a golden age.

Ioannes
un domn / doamna

Post by Ioannes »

perekea perfecta e "11" ...adik "1"-unu ji cu "1"-una ;)

sunrah

Post by sunrah »

ba .. eu vorbeam serios..!!!!

cred ca stiu cum sa fac sa le combin .. :D ..

sunrah

Post by sunrah »

Maeditus ... shhhh ... :twisted:

eNTeCeKappa
tanar

intra pe www.babygrande.com

Post by eNTeCeKappa »

intra pe www.babygrande.com ......e un label foarte jmecher....numa artisti gen jedimindtricks , canibus , gza , army of pharoahs etc sunt semnati acolo
pooola-n phizzdah .... GATA FATA !!!!!!!!!

sunrah

Post by sunrah »

am si eu cate ceva p`aici, poate intereseaza pe careva :wink:

Hip-Hop Core : Why have you changed your name of What What to the Jean Grae one ? And why did you choose this particular name inspired by the X-Men ? Does this idea come from Pumpkinhead ?

Jean Grae : After Natural Resource, well almost before the group split up, I just wanted a change. Nothing really deep about it. I was tired of being called "What?". The NORE song Superstar kinda killed it for me. Also, just wanting to make a clean start and re-introduce myself.

HHC : Are you still in contact with other Ground Zero and Natural Resource members (Ocean & DJ Aggie) ? What are they doing now ?

JG : Yes, no bad blood or anything. Rithm, from Ground Zero I haven't seen in years. I know he's doing well for himself though. I see Ocean often, Aggie once in a while. Everyone is doing well.

HHC : How did you meet Kimani ? I believe Internet has something to do with it…

JG : Actually no it didn't. Umm. I think we had met a few times before at shows and such. The underground is a small world you know.

HHC : What's the signification of your album cover, this Vishnu goddess ? Why did you make this choice ?

JG : She's purdy.

HHC : You were supposed to do a few shows with Cannibal Ox, I suppose you're very disappointed of their split, but have you still got some projects concerning shows ?

JG : Yes I do. We're still pulling together some stuff for this fall/winter to try and promote the EP. Nothing really confirmed, so I can't tell you exclusively yet, but I will be hopping on some tours.

HHC : You're from South Africa, right ? I think you were one of the first US hip-hoppers (with Mr. Len & Bobbito) to make shows in this country… Have you been there recently ? Do you know the hip hop scene of this country ?

JG : Myself and my fianc?© were there from December of last year until earlier this year. It was his first time there, just a really beautiful experience in all. My first time there really, as an adult being able to see things in a different way and to experience it with him, made it even better. I have to say that I wasn't that well versed in all of the hip hop or Kwaito scene before hand, besides being there in 2000 and meeting a lot of talented kids, but we were definitely learning a lot in the short time we had there. Looking forward to going back, really being able to do something that will benefit the communities that desperately need help. As well as doing some work with collaborations between South African and American artists.

HHC : You wrote an article for allhiphop.com, denouncing the ignorance and the narrow-minded vision that a lot of Americans have of Africa… Do you think things are changing ?

JG : No. I don't think it's an easy thing to do and not something that's going to happen overnight. But I think we are long past due for an awakening, on both ends.

HHC : I believe you tend to dislike women who, in music, have got feminist positions, isn't it ? You prefer being considered primarily as an artist and not as a woman doing hip hop. Can you tell us more about that ?

JG : No, I don't dislike women who have feminist opinions. I think it's a shame that people think that because you are female you must thereby be a feminist by default. I don't like being categorized as anything that I am not. I don't like being categorized for anything in general. I am a woman, I am a rapper, neither one of these automatically makes me a feminist. But more power to anyone who stands behind their ideas and beliefs, whatever that may be. I would rather not perform at "all female showcases" or participate in things that segregate me as an artist based on my gender. I'd like there to be no line between the requirements to be dope as a female emcee or as a male. If you like me, you like me because you think I have the skill to represent the art form. If not, then don't dislike me simply because I'm female. Also, never call me a femcee. That is so insulting. Mancee? We don't say that, do we? Why the separatist approach then?

HHC : Both your parents were musicians. Did they influence your musical point of view in any way ?

JG : Of course. The strength to be independent, as an individual, performer and composer. There always being music constantly around us, the fact they are both still actively pursuing their careers.

HHC : What gave you the will to write ?

JG : The pen.

HHC : On 'Swing Blades' I believe you say "another day with myself, another day without wealth/ there's got to be another way, I need help/ so I pray like I'm a Pentacostal, Sufi, Buddhist, Strict Agnostic/ hoping one will hit its target/ take another sip of hypnotic and lay my head on the pillow and dream erotic scenes/ of killers spilling endless rounds and all of them shooting at me." Could you explain this excerpt ?

JG : The rhyme was about going between being a pessimist in life who hasn't lost faith, to the point of trying to pray to every God from almost any religion just to try and make the waking life better. Only to still be plagued by visions of darkness and death in dreams.

HHC : When you were younger I believe you wanted to be a DJ. What are your favourite pieces in your collection ?

JG : Hmm. They are mostly in storage. I would say the Missa Luba recording, which I haven't been able to find again. It's a choir of African children singing gospel in their native language, really beautiful. I need to find that record, thanks for reminding me. Uh, a lot of my fathers early stuff that I think only deep jazz collectors have, lucky me. And, a lot of old rare Thelonious Monk gems.

HHC : Can you tell us a few words about Run Run Shaw… ?

JG : I produced under that name on a few records back in the Makin' Records days.

HHC : You're an emcee but you produce too… Which emcee (or singer) would you like to feature on one of your productions ?

JG : I have a random list. Ghostface, Chrissy Hynde, Anthony Hamilton, his voice is nutty. If I start naming more I'll just get angry, I can't afford anyone. Hahaha, people are expensive nowadays… Funny, when you're famous, people want to do things for free. I don't need it THEN. I need it NOW.

HHC : You seem to appreciate this type of production with dramatic strings and melancholic melodies like the kind of sound that was released in the middle of the 90's although at the moment what seems to be the most important are the drums : all the time, the same snares. Most producers seem to choose a kind of formula…How do you explain that ?

JG : Formulas work. Only more a certain amount of time though. I just prefer music that's not so cleaned up. Not everything has to sound so pristine, for certain things it works, but you don't need everything so polished up and shiny. That's just the way I like my music, some edge some grit. Too much polishing, you start taking all the emotion and life out of it.

HHC : I believe you've performed with Apani B Fly for a few shows, and you also were with her on some tracks like "Shut Da Fuck Up" (From the Beatminerz LP "Brace 4 Impak"). Is there any other collaboration in the works with Apani ? A full length project of you and Apani could come out as extraordinary…

JG : Yeah, don't we know it. We have a joint on her upcoming release "A Story To Tell", called "The Epidemic".. Yes, when we're both done doing all the busy album things we're doing, we will smack you all in the face with an album. Then you will all fall down and go ouch and say "Oh...oh wow." That's the plan.

HHC : According to me, the most outstanding collaborations you've done are those with Masta Ace, Mr Len, Da Beatminerz and The Herbaliser (I heard this track named Tea and Beer …) What relations do you maintain with all of them ?

JG : With The Herbaliser, we're planning to do some new songs for another album. I just worked with Ace again on his new album, Len will be back on the next LP as well as Beatminerz. So, everyone's still on board. Len just started his new label and is being all rap executive. That's not a word, I know. I'm really proud of him. Kice of Course, who's really, really fresh will be on his label, So look out for that please.

HHC : What about your links with Immortal Technique ?

JG : Besides that murder rap we are caught up in down in Tibet? Oh, you mean rap wise. Oh, well I met Teck at this small bar in my neighborhood where he demolished these little kids acting up onstage to the point where they were so embarrassed that they had to leave the club. One of my favorite hip hop moments of all time. Haha. I turned to Pumpkinhead and said "I have to meet him. That was great". Long story short, we hooked up, I got a couple joints I produced for him on Volume 1, he called me up and asked me to come through and do something on Volume 2 so of course I was down. Teck is my homey, I'm honored that he let me touch that song. I know it was an incredibly personal subject. Plainly, he's the man. Please buy Volume 2. It's fire. It makes fire go, " Oh shit, that's hot." It's important. Let the kids listen to it. Then stop listening to the CD and go pick up a book. Books are your friend.

HHC : Can you tell us a few words about your collaboration with Mr. Len on his solo LP ? Since your appearances on there, you're truly considered as one of the top lyricists.

JG : Blah, blah Lenny blah blah. Yeah Len is pretty talented. Yeah. So? No, really...we had been wanting to work together, so when we finally did, it was really good that it did not suck at all. Creatively our chemistry is incredible. That was kind of a tongue twister there huh. I don't ever have to say anything, he knows already what things should sound like, or what beats are right... And yeah.. He gets slept on too. I don't get it. Just a response to the critics on that album.. How could you not like "Force Fed"?? By Agents of Man...you know. Aww man, I could kill someone to that song. If Linkin Park came out with the same shit (which they pretty much did, like 2 years later) it would be genius. Len's a genius.

HHC : Can you tell us a few words about "The Bootleg of the Bootleg EP" that you've just released ? What's the goal of this short release ?

JG : Sort of a Version 1.5 album. An album to bridge the album. Actually no, it's an album to bridge the bridge between the actual LONG Bootleg and the next album. Get it? Just keep a buzz going, set up retail and audience to acknowledge the label change, yadda yadda.

HHC : For this new album, you've signed with Babygrande. Why? I've heard that the budget for your first album was really low, is this the unique reason of this change ?

JG : Bingo with the money thing.

HHC : Apart from 'Thank Ya', most of your tracks on "Attack of the Attacking Things" aren't very happy (which contrasts with the somewhat humorous title of the LP). Can we expect the same type of ambiance for your next LP ?

JG : Not at all, totally different album. Completely different perspective on a lot of things right now. I'm still dark though. No happy, dancy, frolic in the meadows tunes.

HHC : The reviews for your first solo LP were (logically) mostly positive. The second album is often considered to be the most difficult step in an artist's career. Most of the artists never recover from a bad second LP. Do you feel an important pressure ?

JG : Nah, hey most artists sell a lot of records for their albums, so it's not like the last one went double platinum and I have to measure up. No pressure in that way. Just the pressure I put on myself to be better and more versatile.

HHC : Who's gonna produce this album ? Nasain Nahmeen ? And who's gonna take the mic with you ?

JG : Can't really talk too much about it. Keeping it kind of mysterious for this one.

HHC : I've heard about many other projects such as an interactive CD, Brickface and Stucco (with Mr Len) and also a project with Murs from the Living Legends … What's up with all of this ?

JG : Yes, yes and yes. Future endeavors.

HHC : Only in this interview, we've been talking about you under 5 different names. Are these names reflections of the different aspects of your personality ? Is it only a way of blurring things ? Is it something else ?

JG : I just don't think I can pick one good name. I keep coming up with new ones, so I use them all over the place. Don't worry I got more aliases coming so you don't get bored. Production wise, I didn't want people liking stuff specifically because they knew it was me, or because it was good "for a girl". That was the main choice for the beat aliases. Just like the music, who cares who made it. People rely too much on putting a name on something, instead of just enjoying it for what it is.

HHC : What is your motto (if you've got one) ?

JG : Grow up. Not left.

HHC : Any last word ?

JG : Amalgamate. I've always loved that word. It feels nice to say. A-mallll-gaaa-mate. See ?

Return to “Hip hop strain”