Cunnin' Lynguists

Discutii despre hip hop-ul de-afara

Moderators: greuceanu, .etalosed

Deena
La Cosa Nostra
atmoposciel.pl - Jedwabne poszewki na poduszki

Cunnin' Lynguists

Post by Deena »

The CunninLynguists? What you didn??€�t know? If you somehow missed their last album Southernunderground deemed an underground classic by many rap fans worldwide (yes even heads that don??€�t speak English are up on that album), then here is your chance to find out a little more about these Wild Cats from Kentucky. We at TheOtherGround caught up with them after a hype show in southern California and got to ask them a few questions about their upcoming album A Piece of Strange. The Cunnin??€� Lynguists are made up of Kno and Deacon The Villain. Both of whom produce, slash emcee, slash rock shows, slash beat up their peers back in the days when they were young enough to be in elementary school.

Kno caught a lot of publicity with his remix of Jay-Z??€�s Black Album titled ,I>Kno Vs. Hov: The White Album and it is smoothly one of the best remixes available via your local bootlegger or right here. Kno: known for his soul loops and considered one of the best loop diggers East of the Mississippi, was even praised by Just Blaze and 9th Wonder for his production on the remix album. Without further ado, here is the rugged interview with Kno of the Cunning Lyguists, reppin??€� the Dirty South underground.

Kno: I am taking this man??€�s tape player away. I have his tape player and he doesn??€�t even know it. I am walking down the sidewalk.

TheOG: (Drops beatbox) Boom ticki Psh! Boom boom ticki Psh!

After some fans bum rush the interview to flirt with Kno, the interview continues where it was left off??€¦Let??€�s talk about your upcoming album ??€?A Piece of Strange??€?

Read On Wit' Your Bad Self...

Kno: We got Sloppy Seconds Vol. II coming out. It??€�s done. As soon as we find a label it??€�s done, we just need to find some people to put some money in it. We just gotta find out who??€�s gonna put some money in it. Hopefully like August. A Piece of Strange, is seventeen tracks, all produced by me, except for the last track, which is a co-production between me and Deacon, and a dub band from Lexington called ??€?Club Dub.??€? The whole last track is going to be live instrumentation, live drums and all that sh**. Something along the lines of ??€?Liberation??€? by Outkast, something like that. Right now, the only two people we have on the album are Tonedeff and Immortal Technique, but we??€�re trying to get some other cats on there, some of the Southern emcees that we grew up listening to. And the Natti from Kinfolk who was up on stage with us, he??€�s got a few songs on there.

TheOG: And what got you involved with Immortal Technique?

Kno: Let??€�s see??€¦how did I meet that cat? Through Tonedeff, Tonedeff has been cool with him since he got out of jail and Technique was doing the battle scene in New York, and Technique was doing the battle scene in New York, and Tonedeff is a nice guy so he meets a lot of dudes and helps them out and him and Immortal Technique have been cool so I met him through Tonedeff. We??€�ve done a few shows with him, and so his new album and Tech is using at least one or two beats on one of his album so we basically made a swap. I was like, ??€?You spit a sixteen or twenty four, and I??€�ll hit you with these beats so it??€�s a mutual respect thing.

TheOG: Who were your main musical influences before you got into Hip-Hop?

Kno: Me personally, I??€�m white, if you didn??€�t know.

TheOG: (jokingly) For the record

Kno: A lot of people like Pete Rock when you hear interviews with him, they??€�re talking about soul records they grew up listening to cuz they??€�re parents had a record collection blah blah blah, but my parents had like Jethro Tull records. They had like, Santana and Grateful Dead. My influence is like, if you know about records and you know about burn-out seventies rock, then you probably can listen to my beats and know what I sampled cuz that??€�s where my influences come from. I sample some soul obviously, you know what I??€�m saying cuz I like everything, I get into all types of different genres of music, but like, growing up, it??€�s just what my dad listened to really. My dad was a Dead-Head, tie-dyed shirts all that @#%$. I never really listened to Hip-Hop until I heard the drum, cuz I used to play the drums and the drums is what kind of caught me, the rhythm. I can??€�t even lie though, I had Millie Vanilli tapes and I had Genesis.

TheOG: I realized that SOS wasn??€�t with you guys, is that a sensitive subject or did you just part ways?

Kno: No not really. I mean to be honest with you, it??€�s really a situation when we first did the first album, it was a two man group. SOS was on the first album as a guest on like one track or whatever. I met him shortly before around the same time we recorded that album. And I just liked his style. To be honest with you, he was always more of a solo rapper and that??€�s what he wanted to do. And we always kinda had a policy where me and Deacon were like, ??€?the group could always kind of be like a revolving door.??€� It??€�s always gonna be me and Deacon, like the Roots is always Kamal, and Black Thought, and Questlove and Hub. As long as those four dudes are together, it??€�s the Roots even if you know Razhel ain??€�t there, it??€�s still the group. But it??€�s always gonna be me and Deacon as the Cunnin??€� Lynguists but SOS is back Atlanta, he??€�s working on his solo album and it just got to a point where we figured it was probably better because the group chemistry wasn??€�t what it should be you know what I??€�m saying? Unfortunately, it??€�s going to put us in a position where we can??€�t perform certain songs, but at the same time, I??€�m not concerned with it cuz we??€�re good at what we do, we??€�re always gonna have good albums, and it??€�s not really gonna be an issue. I know some people will miss him, I mean, I miss him, he??€�s a nice guy.

TheOG: Now to drop the bomb on you: The White Album: Kno vs. Hov, what inspired you to do that? To put your beats behind Jay-Z??€�s lyrics?

Kno: MONEY MAN!! Naw, naw??€¦Honestly, I shop a lot of beats to a lot of different people. Mainstream, everything. I get a chance to shop beats to people, and they get a chance to hear ??€?em. Unfortunately, some people just don??€�t know how to??€¦They might here something they like, but they don??€�t know how to rap to it. You know what I??€�m saying? It??€�s not that I??€�m wack, I know I??€�m al??€�ight, I??€�m saying I??€�m good enough to sell beats to certain people or for people to use beats. But, a lot of people will pass on certain beats because they don??€�t know what to do with it. At the time, I had a surplus of tracks and weren??€�t nobody really using them, and you know whatever, I was hiddin??€� low, cuz we already had a record come out, and the opportunity kind of presented itself. I talked to 9th Wonder about it and he heard like the one track that I had done, cuz I basically did a litmus test. Kind of like leaked ??€?December 4th??€? and put it up on okayplayer, and people around where I live had heard it and I got good feedback from it so I decided to go with it.

TheOG: I know that in a previous interview you stated that all of these journalists are covering the same bullsh** about these albums, the White Album, the Gray Album, and they??€�re just saying the same thing over and over again. Is there anything that you??€�ve had on your chest that you weren??€�t given a chance to express?

Kno: I think it??€�s unfortunate that people would say that they didn??€�t like the fact that people were remixing the album. The simple fact that they put the A capella version out for that to happen. There are so many people that complain, ??€?Oh why are they doin??€� this? Why you can??€�t remix Kansas? Why are they doing this???€� you know what I??€�m saying? Blah blah blah, but it??€�s like at the end of the day, they put the a capellas out for that purpose. Because they wanted to create buzz for free and they did. Because I was in articles in Rolling Stone, blah blah blah blah blah, and they didn??€�t pay for that publicity. It helped me obviously, but at the same time you see Jay-Z??€�s name in there too and people say that the Gray Album was like the number one downloaded @#%$ ever on the internet. It counts for something ??€?cuz that??€�s still Jay-Z??€�s lyrics on there so it gave it a life, it??€�s like it gave it extra legs you know what I??€�m saying? I mean, that??€�s really it, I heard a lot of remixes, I didn??€�t necessarily like them all??€¦

TheOG: Which one was your favorite?

Kno: There was actually a dude from LA named Beirut, I can??€�t remember where I heard it but he??€�ll probably end up using all of his beats for something else. I don??€�t think he really put it out there like that. But I just happened to hear it. I liked his @#%$ the best, I liked 9ths??€�, to an extent, umm??€¦Dangermouse, I think he had about four or five real hot tracks like right at the beginning. I like the beginning of that album, it was nice.

TheOG: What about the Silver Album (RJD2)?

Kno: I don??€�t know about that one, I never heard any of the blends. The Primo blends, I never heard none of that stuff.

TheOG: I know you and Deacon are gonna be together, but who??€�s an artist out there that you would really like to work with the most?

Kno: I can??€�t say we worked with an artist that we weren??€�t cool with. I??€�m not gonna say, ??€?Oh Chingy??€�s hot, let??€�s put him on there.??€� It??€�s not like that, if they??€�re not cool with us, or we don??€�t really know them, then it??€�s not gonna happen. You know the Inverse track we did with Treklife and them, I like Trek, I saw him live before, Inverse is the homie, so we just did the track; that??€�s just how we operate. Right now? I don??€�t know, Devin the Dude, Outkast, anybody out of Goodie Mob??€¦basically, not too many new people. A lot of older rappers, Jay-Z, Nas??€¦

TheOG: Scarface?

Kno: Yea, Scarface, UGK, 8ball and MJG, any of them.

TheOG: Before we cut, do you have any shout outs?

Kno: I??€�d like to give a shout out to my dad. What up dad? I??€�d like to give a shout out to anybody that ever purchased the album, or downloaded it, or got a dubbed copy of it from a friend, or found it in the street and gave it a chance. I??€�d like to say that this next album is definitely not the same sound as before. It??€�s not commercial, it??€�s nothing like that, but it??€�s got a lot more soul. A lot more depth. The album is like a concept album. The shout-out is to anybody who is willing to listen to it with an open mind cuz we don??€�t do any funny raps on this album. It??€�s very serious. It??€�s like a lot of themes, life, death, racism, stuff like that, we??€�re tackling heavy @#%$. That??€�s just the way the world is right now and it??€�s hard to be happy go lucky. Ummm??€¦that??€�s about it though.

TheOG: Alright, thanks a lot. You wanna bust a quick free? It won??€�t go up on the net but that??€�d be a good way to end things tonight??€¦

Kno: Sure??€¦. Yo! Yo!??€¦(Cipher begins)??€¦

TheOG: Beatbox drops again??€¦

GANi
Hadesse

Post by GANi »

Cum zisesem si mai devreme... Super interesant interviu`! Ma bucur ca in sf. s-a deschis si thread despre my favourites :mrgreen:

Abia astept albumul, chiar daca Kno a zis ca o sa difere si n-o sa mai aiba si caterinca aia caracteristica lor combinata cu subiecte serioase... Oricum, daca o sa aiba mai multe influente soul si piesele or sa fie in continuare produse de el, albumu` n-are cum sa nu sune bine. De pe mixtape am ascultat piesa solo a lui Mr. SOS - Time (What Is It?), aia cu Inverse si Treklife - Till The End si un interludiu - Cornasto si ce pot sa spun e ca nu mi se pare ca suna deloc diferit fata de chestiile lor anterioare. 8)

adapter
moderator astea

Post by adapter »

alea care erau gratis la download :)

Ce au facut pana acum a fost super ok, astept albumu' asta sa vad ce zice.

baftalos

Deena
La Cosa Nostra

Post by Deena »

date: March 30th 2005
news: Tonedeff's LP Archetype now available! This long awaited solo debut features production by Kno on the track Loyal. The album is available through Caroline Distribution, and can be found or ordered wherever CD's and vinyl are sold.

date: March 14th 2005
news: As a prelude to CunninLynguists' new LP A Piece Of Strange, CL is looking to release Sloppy Seconds Volume 2 in late May.

Sloppy Seconds 2 will feature all new tracks, remixes and all original production by Kno and Deacon The Villain. Features include Natti of Kynfolk, Cashmere The PRO, Chapter 13, Celph Titled, Mr. SOS, Inverse featuring Trek Life, QN5 Allstars and others.

It will be released on LA Underground Entertainment Group (OneManArmy's 'Fetus' and the re-release of Binary Star's 'Masters Of The Universe').

The CD will also feature exclusive preview tracks from the forthcoming A Piece Of Strange LP and 'Knomercy - The Difference Vol. 2'.

Return to “Hip hop strain”